Nurburgring hopeful over 2013 deal

Wednesday 18th January 2012

Share:

Nurburgring hopeful over 2013 deal

Nurburgring hopeful over 2013 deal

Nurburgring chiefs have confirmed that they are in negotiations with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone about a deal for the 2013 season.

The German Grand Prix is currently rotated between the Nurburgring and Hockenheim but while the latter has a contract until 2016, Nurburgring's deal expired last year.

Organisers, though, are determined to keep the race on the Formula One calendar and talks with Ecclestone have already started.

"Negotiations with Bernie Ecclestone have already started and are ongoing for the 2013 race," said Nurburgring Automotive GmbH (NAG) spokesman Karl-Heinz Steinkuehler told Reuters.

"At the moment there is package that the operators look at positively. But it is also the state of Rhineland-Palatinate that needs to sign off as a partner for any deal."

The circuit has been forced to axe around 100 jobs, but NAG says the cuts were necessary as they need to reduce costs.

"The operators have no problem and the season starting in April this year is fully guaranteed," said Steinkuehler. "The cutbacks are necessary to meet the leasing costs."

Gallery: Race Day In Hungary

Editor's Picks

Stand-Out Moments In 2014

Stand-Out Moments In 2014

Stuff the critics, Andrew Davies thinks this has been an outstanding year of F1 and delivers his 10 magnificent moments...

What Will Alonso Do Next?

What Will Alonso Do Next?

Fernando Alonso is well known for his love of magic, but he needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat very quickly...

PlanetF1 Fantasy League

PlanetF1 Fantasy League

The season may be underway but you can still enter the PlanetF1 Fantasy League and win prizes on a race-by-race basis...

Not The F1 News: Rain Radar

Not The F1 News: Rain Radar

Eric Boullier and the McLaren team are receiving more training from the weather satellite company, UBIMET...